Administered online in October 2010 among a sample of French buyers, packaging manufacturers and packaging equipment manufacturers the 2010 Packaging Observatory survey confirms return to growth and gain in confidence, a trend already initiated in 2009.
Packaging buyers are optimistic about the development of their production in the medium term:
- 57% expect their production to increase. Growth is driven by fast-moving consumer goods with the following sectors in the lead: liquid food 64%; cosmetics, hygiene and perfumery 63%; and health & pharmaceutical products 60%.
- For buyers from the intermediate goods industry growth regains momentum this year: 53% expect their output to rise, i.e. up 15 percentage points over last year, and this has been the best prospect since 2007.
- Purchases, considered by material, will grow according to 46% of buyers on average, and will be stable for 40% of them.
Innovation trends for packaging buyers are clearly centered around sustainable development:
1. Recyclability and the use of recycled materials is the leading trend for 67% of buyers.
2. Ergonomy, convenience, easy use for 54% of them.
3. Elimination of overpackaging is a key issue for 46% of buyers.
The protective and transport functions of packaging (44%) and the search for new materials (41%) come next.