- US$856 billion revenue in 2012
- 1% fall in the global medicinal product market compared with 2011
- France remains no. 2 European market, Germany ranking first, in 2012
- The world’s medicinal product market, estimated to comprise some US$856bn revenue in 2012, declined by 1% compared with 2011.
- Breakdown of the global pharmaceutical market (industrial producer price) by geographic area in 2012:
- North America: 40.7%
- Africa/Asia/ Pacific/Australia: 27.6%
- Europe: 25.5%
- South America: 6.2%
- The United States of America remains the top region with a 38% global market share. Europe is far behind with 17% and Japan 11.7%.
- Despite merger and acquisition activity since 2009, the world’s medicinal product market is far less consolidated than other sectors of activity: five major groups cover 25% of the global pharmaceutical market compared with 40% for information technology, 50% for the automotive industry and 80% for aerospace.
The French medicinal product market in 2012
- €52,287m: revenue generated in France by pharmaceutical companies in 2012, of which €25,286m was export revenue.
- 4.8%: France’s share of the global medicinal product market in 2012 (Source: IMS Health).
- €7,146m: trade surplus (import-export) generated by medicinal products in 2012 compared with €5,300 in 2011.
Packaging challenges faced by the Healthcare/Pharmaceutical industry
Despite the rather dreary economic climate in the pharmaceutical sector, one of its largest suppliers – the packaging industry – is still booming in several segments, notably where demand and/or regulations necessitate innovation and investment :
- Proper use of medicinal products: there is considerable room for improvement in compliance with treatment.
- Injectable medicines and systems of administration: a fast-developing market generating major challenges.
- Packing materials and devices: should not only guarantee safety but also make use of more sustainable resources.
- New systems of administration of medicinal products and combined therapies: as a result of regulatory and technological developments.
- Implementation of a single number (serialisation) on each medicine pack: a change planned in the next few years for full compliance with European regulations on the traceability of medicines.
- Tamper-proof wrapping and authentication on each medicine pack for sale in Europe: compulsory features under the European regulations on falsified medicines.
Focus on some market trends
- Stiplastics, an industrial SME that designs, develops, manufactures and markets technical products and innovative features based on moulded plastic for the healthcare market, in particular.
- Tekni-Plex produces high-barrier film for blister packaging and film consisting of polypropylene (PP), cycloolefin copolymer (COC), and co-polyester. The manufacturer will place particular emphasis on more environmentally friendly film that limits the negative effects of chlorine when destroying blisters.
Some exhibitors from the health sector : ADMC / APORE / ATLANTIC ZEISER / BALLERSTAEDT & CO OHG / CAMPAK / CEISA PACKAGING / CGP INDUSTRIES / COESIA / CURTI COSTRUZIONI MECCANICHE / CVP / DARRON / DCM USIMECA / ECOPAC SAS / ELIZABETH EUROPE / FAREVA CORPORATE FRANCE / FARMO RES / GARIN SAR / GRONINGER & CO GMBH / IMA SPA / INGENIERIA DE ENVASADO VERTICAL / MARIN G & C SRL / MG2 SRL / MOM / OMAG SRL / OPTIMA PACKAGING FRANCE SARL / PACKFEEDER S,L, / PACKINOV SAS / PAKEA / PBH FRANCE / PHARM ALLIANCE / POLYPAL FRANCE / ROBERT BOSCH PACKAGING TECHNOLOGY / ROMACO PHARMATECHNIK GMBH / SAPIC / SARONG / SERIPLAST SA / SOGEV / SOLLAS / TIRELLI SRL /ULMA PACKAGING, S,COOP, / V2 ENGINEERING SRL / VELFOR PLAST / VOLUME SOFTWARE.