- €917 billion revenue in 2012 (14.5% of total EU-27 revenue for production)
- Some 310,000 companies
- +4 million employees, i.e. 14% of the European manufacturing sector
- No. 2 processing industries sector, after metals
French food industries (source: ANIA, French association of food industries)
- €160.9 billion revenue (17.5% of total EU-27 production in 2012)
- 11,852 companies (4.4% of European companies in 2012)
- 495,000 employees (12.4 % of European employees in 2012)
- €9.1 billion positive foreign trade balance
- No. 5 global exporter, following the USA, Netherlands, Germany and Brazil
- The European Commission reports: “the food and beverage industry is one of Europe’s most important and dynamic sectors”. However, the industry is strongly fragmented since 99% of the companies are SMEs sustained by a few European multinational companies, namely with global presence.
- According to the Commission, the size of Europe’s common market provides many opportunities for companies wanting to increase their productivity while generating economies of scale.
- A rapid comparison, taking the overall 2012 statistics into account, gives productivity of €325,000/employee in France compared with the €225,000/employee generated by other European countries.
- Nonetheless, a poor general economic climate and complex laws, regulations and administration, described as “francocentric”, penalised French food industries’ competitiveness in 2013, compared with that of their European counterparts, by generating supplementary costs and hindering their capability to invest and create jobs.
- Although still broadly positive in 2013, foreign trade balance declined by 7% versus 2012 due to the stabilisation of exports and rise of imports.
- The sector also maintained its rank as leading industrial employer in 2013, with 492,608 employees, but is nevertheless in a fragile position.
- Despite spectacularly low inflation at 0.9%, purchasing power finally yielded in 2013. Price pressure, with squeezed costs and margins, caused prices to plummet.
- Food manufacturers therefore embarked on a cost-cutting race to preserve market share and create innovations in order to produce new added value, albeit cheaply.
Packaging challenges faced by the Agri-food industry
- The silver economy (one third of the French population will be over 60 in 2035 according to the national statistics office, INSEE) will form 60% of total in-home eating from 2015.
- French e-commerce performance: €51.1bn revenue (600m online transactions in one year reported by the French federationofe-commerceanddistance selling, FEVAD) and the gradual introduction of the drive-in into the French retail landscape were major positive events in 2013.
- Pack sizes have been reduced given that 2014 is the European Year Against Food Waste (French consumers dispose of some 20kg of food waste every year, including 7kg of unopened products).
- Packages have also become thinner under Directive 2007/45/EC, which authorises the liberalisation of pack formats except for wines, spirits and aerosols.
- Legislators play for time with regulatory concepts such as “best before” and “use by” dates. To get ahead, packaging increasingly adopts a transparent approach by stating “use within X days after opening”. Freshness labels (Time Temperature Integrator/TTI system) are also back in the limelight for cold chain management
- Regulation 1169/2011/EC, called “INCO” or nutritional labelling with consumer information on foodstuffs, in force since 13 December 2011, provided for an implementing time frame of 3 to 5 years.
- Lastly, in accordance with French law, manufacturers are preparing to launch bisphenol-free packaging on 1 January 2015.
Focus on some market trends
THE "SILVER ECONOMY"
- TAB-trays from EUROPLASTIQUES are pasteurisable and microwave-safe.
FIGHT AGAINST FOOD WASTE
- Moving bag®, the anti-wastage packaging from Etik’Ouest, is a bag which opens, re-seals itself and keeps products fresh.
- Insignia from Aneolia: smart pigments on a plastic film act as an indicator of food freshness.
Among the exhibitors of the food sector : CETEC INDUSTRIE / CFS CELLPACK PACKAGING / CGL PACK SERVICE / CHUPIN PACK / CHUPIN PACK / CLARANOR SA / CODEFINE SA / COGNEX / COL DE CYGNE / COMITRONICBTI / CONGOST PLASTIC SA / CORTEPACK SPA / COUDERT / MASSISERVICES SERIA / DACOR - BOITEALU,COM / DAKLAPACK / DELTA COMPOSANTS / DS SMITH KAYSERSBERG / EFICYENCIA Y TECNOLOGIA SA / ELPLAST SP, Z O,O, / EMBALLAGE PROCESS SYSTEMES / EMBALLAGE TECHNOLOGIES / EMBALLAGE TECHNOLOGIES / ERMATEC / ERSEY MAKINA /ESPERA / ETS PRUD’HOMME / EUROCRI / EUROPLASTIQUES SAS / EUROTECH / FBB AUTOMATION / FELLMANN CARTONNAGES / FILPACK SA / FIORINI INTERNATIONAL SPA / FIRPLAST / FRANCO PACK / FUJI PACKAGING MACHINES / FUTURA ROBOTICA / FUTURPLAST SAS / GEBO PACKAGING / SOLUTIONS FRANCE SAS / GEPPIA / GERHARD / SCHUBERT GMBH / GL-EVENTS EXHIBITION / GMA PACKAGING MACHINERY / GOGLIO SPA / H,B, FULLER FRANCE / HANDTMANN FRANCE / HEBERT P, SAS / HEUFT SYSTEMTECHNIK GMBH / HEXA-PAC / HSIN MAWH ENTERPRISE CO / HTDS / ILAPAK FRANCE / ILPRA S,P, A, / INPACO / INTAMAC INTERGULF - EMPOL LTD / I,MIKO PAC / MILLET MARIUS / MULTIFILL INC / MULTIPOND / MULTIVAC FRANCE / MURZAN EUROPE / N,V, BASTIN-PACK / NEW FINEPAC / NORDSON FRANCE / NOVA / OCS CHECKWEIGHERS GMBH / OMRON ELECTRONICS SAS / OREP PACKAGING / PACK & PROPER CO LTD / PACK REALISATIONS / PAKER / PALAMY / PAUL LIPPKE HANDELS GMBH / PFM S,P,A, PACKAGING MACHINERY / PIAB / PLASTMOROZ SP Z O,O, SP,K, / PLASTOBREIZ / PLASTOLOIR / POLIBAK AS / POLYDRUCK / POLYPACK SARL / PRECIA MOLEN / PRO’ COUPE INDUSTRIES / PRO FORM LTD / PROCESS ALIMENTAIRE / PRODEC EQUIPOS DE ENVASADO SAU / PROPACK SPA ITALIE - PROPAGROUP SARL / RECMI INDUSTRIE / REXROTH PNEUMATICS SAS / RHENALSA / ROBATECH / ROCKWELL AUTOMATION / ROLLON / ROUXEL / S,C,I,M / S,K FRERES / SARMABO / SCHMERSAL / SEALPAC FRANCE / SERAC / SERMATEC / SEROBA / SEW-USOCOME / SICHTPACK HAGNER / SLAYER BLADES SRL / SLEEVER INTERNATIONAL / SML FOOD PLASTIC / SOCAPS / SODIMA / SOLIA / SOMTAS CONVERTING EQUIPEMENT / SORETRAC / STAUBLI ROBOTICS / STOCKLIN LOGISTICS / STRATUS PACKAGING / SUMITOMO DEMAG / TAVIL INDEBE SAU / TECMA PACK / TEKNOPET PLASTIC PRODUCTS AND PET PACK / TEMACO CONTENANTS / THIMONNIER / TOURNAIRE / TREIF SARL / TURCONI S,P,A, / UNI PACKAGING / URSCHEL INTERNATIONAL LIMITED / VANNERIE PACK VDI CONTACT FACTORIES / VEGEPACK / VELEC SYSTEMS / VIGOUR PACK CO,LTD / WEIDENHAMMER PACKAGING GROUP GMBH / XIAMEN JIAN AN FENG PACKING CO, / YAMATO SCALE GMBH / YASKAWA FRANCE / ZIP-PAK EUROPE.